Skip to main content

Week 9: Growth Mindset - A Different Outlook

(Image Information: Look It Up
pdclipart Source: Wikipedia)

~~~

Today, I watched two videos located on Dr. Gibbs "Growth Mindset" playlist listed on YouTube. These were "The Sleeper" and "Biology of Positivity". Both of these videos provided a new outlook on learning.

We are wired to think negatively, but when we tell ourselves to look at the bigger picture and think about the good things in life, then we are more capable. This negativity can impede our ability to excel and perform. 

Additionally, we cannot judge others based on how they appear. In the video, "The Sleeper", a teacher is frustrated because he sees that in a classroom full of students, there is one student who is always sleeping in his class. This student does not make good grades either. One day, the teacher confronted him only to find out that this sleeper in his classroom was actually a game developer. He would stay up all night developing games, which are now used for people with Alzheimer's. 

It is interesting to think about how much our education system enforces the importance of a letter grade more than learning. This student, while making awful grades, was still learning. Where is the enjoyment in learning when all we can think about is "I have to do well in order for me to succeed." This causes some students to go astray and commit acts like cheating. 

In order for someone to really go through our educational system they must also be positive. We must not let our grades define us, but use it as a tool to better ourselves.




Comments

  1. Sonali I thought your growth mindset post was extremely interesting. I really enjoyed getting to read what your take away was on this. One sentence in particular really stood out to me and that was "it is interesting to think about how much our education enforces the importance of a letter grade more than learning." This sentence was really strong and I also think that it is very true. We have always focused on making good grades and less on the actual learning which is almost a little sad if you think about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Welcome to my blog! (Image Information: Gossip Girl Snaevar Source: Wikipedia ) Come follow the adventures of the Ramayana through the eyes of Gossip Girl as she details the events in Ayodhya. Click here . 

An Introduction to Me, Myself, and I

Welcome to my blog! ~~~ (Image information: Personal photo of myself from Camp Crimson - July 2016) ~~~       Hi! My name is Sonali Demla, a junior Chemical Biosciences Pre-Dental major at the University of Oklahoma. I grew up in Lawton, Oklahoma with my little sister, little brother, and my dog Danny! My sister and I currently live together as she also attends the University of Oklahoma, and my little brother is in middle school. We're all really close, but my sister and I are closer than you might think. What do I mean by this? Well, when people ask me an interesting fact about myself, I tell them that my sister and I have the same birthday, except we're one year apart . Yes, an exact 365 days!  Our birthday is actually coming up very soon - January 16th to be exact. It's a nice date because usually it falls on the MLK holiday, so it seems fitting that we get the day off for our birthday. Some people say, "Well, that must suck." I actu...

Week 3 Story: Finding My True Love

                                             (Image Information: Rama and Sita with Gods Fred Miller. Source:  Flickr ) ~~~        It was a wonderful evening in Panchvati, and I was admiring the scenery right in front of me. Sita was out in the river, taking a bath. I was lucky to have her, and I knew she was lucky to have me.        Deep in my thoughts, I noticed something in the front yard. Beyond the trees, leaves, and greenery, there was movement. Someone was there.       It was a woman. I thought I would never see anyone more beautiful than Sita, but this woman in the front yard was gorgeous. When she walked around, her eyes glistened, her teeth sparkled, and she had the perfect womanly figure.       As she approached me, I began to feel nervous. I began to ...