Skip to main content

Week 10: Reading Notes - Pattanaik's Calendar Art -- Narayan

(Image Information: Narayan and Lakshmi
M.V. Durandhar Source: Wikipedia)

~~~

In this video, I learned more about the God Narayan. I really liked how details were pointed out as to how Narayan played an important role in developing Gods like Vishnu, Shiva, and Brahma. It was interesting to see the word "consort" to describe Lakshmi. She is also said to portray a cow, which also explains to others why the cow is so sacred and why Hindus do not eat beef. This would be a great way to come up with my own story to explain the sacredness of a cow. 

The serpent, Shesha, represents time. It would also be a good idea to come up with a story to further divulge into the meaning of the serpent and what it represents. 

The most interesting part of this video was the concept of God. God, in this video, is proclaimed to be eternal. God is "He", God is "She", and God is "It". In this video, it is also stated that we ourselves are a component of God, but our humanly characteristics get in the way for us to discover that about ourselves.

This concept would also make for a great story in which a character finds the "God in himself" based on this idea of Adavaita. 

The Hindu cycles of life and death are also mentioned in this video, in which it is stated that we do not fear death but are yearning to reach the level of eternal bliss. The explaining of the cycles in a type of children's story would also make a good story post. The concepts of karma, dharma, and things in the cycle of life would also have to be mentioned in order for the story to make sense. 

There were a lot of different Hindu religious concepts introduced in this video. I am excited to see what kind of story I end up writing, and see if there are some images that I can find that would also make the story even stronger. I want to take on the concept of a children's story to make these ideas and descriptions of different Gods seem more simple and easier to understand.

Bibliography: Pattanaik's Calendar Art Part B Narayan Reading Guide

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Welcome to my blog! (Image Information: Gossip Girl Snaevar Source: Wikipedia ) Come follow the adventures of the Ramayana through the eyes of Gossip Girl as she details the events in Ayodhya. Click here . 

An Introduction to Me, Myself, and I

Welcome to my blog! ~~~ (Image information: Personal photo of myself from Camp Crimson - July 2016) ~~~       Hi! My name is Sonali Demla, a junior Chemical Biosciences Pre-Dental major at the University of Oklahoma. I grew up in Lawton, Oklahoma with my little sister, little brother, and my dog Danny! My sister and I currently live together as she also attends the University of Oklahoma, and my little brother is in middle school. We're all really close, but my sister and I are closer than you might think. What do I mean by this? Well, when people ask me an interesting fact about myself, I tell them that my sister and I have the same birthday, except we're one year apart . Yes, an exact 365 days!  Our birthday is actually coming up very soon - January 16th to be exact. It's a nice date because usually it falls on the MLK holiday, so it seems fitting that we get the day off for our birthday. Some people say, "Well, that must suck." I actu...

Week 3 Story: Finding My True Love

                                             (Image Information: Rama and Sita with Gods Fred Miller. Source:  Flickr ) ~~~        It was a wonderful evening in Panchvati, and I was admiring the scenery right in front of me. Sita was out in the river, taking a bath. I was lucky to have her, and I knew she was lucky to have me.        Deep in my thoughts, I noticed something in the front yard. Beyond the trees, leaves, and greenery, there was movement. Someone was there.       It was a woman. I thought I would never see anyone more beautiful than Sita, but this woman in the front yard was gorgeous. When she walked around, her eyes glistened, her teeth sparkled, and she had the perfect womanly figure.       As she approached me, I began to feel nervous. I began to ...