Skip to main content

Week 12: Reading Notes - Divided We Fall: Americans in the Aftermath


(Flag of Khalistan
J. Patrick Fischer Source: Wikipedia)

Through my Intro to Hinduism class, I had the opportunity to view the documentary titled Divided We Fall: Americans in the Aftermath. This documentary discovered the situations that Sikh Americans faced post-9/11. While this film focused on the lives of Sikh-Americans, it also presented the hardships that all people of brown skin color have faced since the tragedy. This film is not just for Sikh Americans but Hindus and Hispanics as well. People in America have become more focused on skin color than actually trying to realize that Hindus and Sikhs have lived in America for a long time and that this country is just as much as anyone else's. While this film was created in 2001, the problems are still faced today. Now that Trump is the President, there have been even more cases of hate crimes, and white Americans misinterpreting the difference between Sikh Americans and Muslims. The phrase "turban equals terrorist" is debunked in this film. This documentary casts  a woman, Valerie Kaur, who was a college roommate of my professor and has gone on to create other films and activist groups to make people aware of the problems Sikh Americans continue to face. This film opened my eyes more to the racism and struggles we face here in America. 

Bibliography: Sharat Raju's Divided We Fall: Americans in the Aftermath Video

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Welcome to my blog! (Image Information: Gossip Girl Snaevar Source: Wikipedia ) Come follow the adventures of the Ramayana through the eyes of Gossip Girl as she details the events in Ayodhya. Click here . 

An Introduction to Me, Myself, and I

Welcome to my blog! ~~~ (Image information: Personal photo of myself from Camp Crimson - July 2016) ~~~       Hi! My name is Sonali Demla, a junior Chemical Biosciences Pre-Dental major at the University of Oklahoma. I grew up in Lawton, Oklahoma with my little sister, little brother, and my dog Danny! My sister and I currently live together as she also attends the University of Oklahoma, and my little brother is in middle school. We're all really close, but my sister and I are closer than you might think. What do I mean by this? Well, when people ask me an interesting fact about myself, I tell them that my sister and I have the same birthday, except we're one year apart . Yes, an exact 365 days!  Our birthday is actually coming up very soon - January 16th to be exact. It's a nice date because usually it falls on the MLK holiday, so it seems fitting that we get the day off for our birthday. Some people say, "Well, that must suck." I actu...

Week 3 Story: Finding My True Love

                                             (Image Information: Rama and Sita with Gods Fred Miller. Source:  Flickr ) ~~~        It was a wonderful evening in Panchvati, and I was admiring the scenery right in front of me. Sita was out in the river, taking a bath. I was lucky to have her, and I knew she was lucky to have me.        Deep in my thoughts, I noticed something in the front yard. Beyond the trees, leaves, and greenery, there was movement. Someone was there.       It was a woman. I thought I would never see anyone more beautiful than Sita, but this woman in the front yard was gorgeous. When she walked around, her eyes glistened, her teeth sparkled, and she had the perfect womanly figure.       As she approached me, I began to feel nervous. I began to ...